Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Sick Kid and Rose Colored Glasses

I'm back! We have had a long week! I took the day off on Friday so that I could spend the day with Alyssa before school started up again. We had an awesome day. We really didn't do anything exciting, just ran some errands and got stuff ready to go up north. The most exciting part for Alyssa was getting her hair cut. She asked how short she could get it cut and was very surprised when I told her she could do whatever she wanted as long as she was prepared to live with the consequences. I really stressed that her hair would look different curly than it did straight. Well, she decided on a short bob! It is really cute!!! But it is short! She can't even get it back in a pony tail. The important thing is that she likes it!!!

After the haircut, we were packing up to go up north. Alyssa complained of a headache. I told her to lay down and rest while Jeff & I finished packing up the truck. Well we got loaded up and headed out of town. About 10 minutes into the trip, Alyssa complained that she still had a headache and her throat hurt too. I looked at her throat and it was very red so I had Jeff stop at a gas station and I went in for some cough drops. Alyssa napped all the way to the trailor and said she felt better. It was short lived. By the time I had the groceries put away, Alyssa was back from the park and didn't feel good. She curled up on the couch and watched a movie until she went to bed.

Saturday morning, Alyssa woke up crying. Her throat was raw, she was running a fever, and she felt "crappy". I took her in to the urgent care clinic where they took her temperature(103.2), did a throat culture, and wrote her a prescription for an antibiotic. Yup, you guessed it, Strep throat!
She was also extremely dehydrated so he suggested Pedialyte. We were able to keep her temp down to 100 with Motrin and Tylenol, but it spiked to 103.8 at its highest point. Saturday was a long, long day(and night)!

Sunday morning, Alyssa felt much better. Her fever had dropped and her aches went away. She was still feeling "crappy", but wanted to do something. It was so hot that we decided to go for a boat ride. That was the best decision ever. We drove around for a while, and then parked on a sand bar and played ball in the water. We had some snacks and just enjoyed a lazy day. We headed off the lake around supper time. What a great way to spend a hot day!

Monday was another enjoyable day! Very hot once again(in the 90's). We decided to pack up early so we could get home and make sure Alyssa was settled down for the transition back to school. She started complaining again about her throat being really sore again, and her attitude took a dive south! She had a big meltdown when I told her she couldn't wear her new clothes. It was supposed to be 90 again on Tuesday and all her new stuff was for cooler weather. We had her do a strong sit and she seemed better...for a while. All of a sudden she started crying, then screaming, and then hitting! She was so ANGRY! Come to find out, her throat was so incredibly sore that she was feeling miserable, and angry at me because I wasn't making her feel better! She was also starting to get the back to school nerves and she melted! I finally got to look in her throat and take her temp. Her entire throat was covered in fever blisters and her temp was back up to 101. I got her settled down, pumped full of meds and finally to sleep. I told Jeff that I full expected her to still be sick in the morning and miss school.

Tuesday morning arrived. Alyssa was still sick, and still not eating! She INSISTED on going to school! She made it 1 hour. I took her back in to the doctor and found out that she was dehydrated again! We spent the rest of the day pushing fluids and by about 4:00 she was feeling much better! She was even able to eat some dinner!

Wednesday she was off to school and had no problems all day. I think she is finally on the road to recovery. You know my kid is sick when she turns down ice cream for dinner!

This morning, she was back in slow motion mode, but I was able to talk her out of it. If this is the worst of her back to school attitude, this is nothing! Last year, I was pulling her out of bed and threatening to send her to school in her pajamas(I say threaten because I only had to do it once!). Last year I was being screamed at, hit, ignored, etc. This year, all I'm getting is some sass and attitude - PROGRESS!!!

I want to make a follow up comment to the comments on my last post. I must admit that I went into adoption with rose colored glasses. I blame the foster care system, namely the social workers that are trying to place kids. They sugar coat everything in an attempt to be able to close a case. I can understand their position. But, and this is a big butt! Educate your foster parents and adoptive parents. Be honest about the issues that they will face! I read somewhere that like 80% of kids in the foster care system have some type of attachment issues. Give the parents the resources and the tools that they need to be educated and truly in a position to help these kids! I am not trying to scare anyone away from raising these kids, but isn't it better to back out BEFORE you have the ability to further damaged an already traumatized child? I urge each and every one of you to contact your local foster care agency and offer to educate their foster parents about attachment. They will probably say no, but keep pushing. Education is the key to making sure the rose colored glasses come off and stay off!


Unspeakable Joy said...

yay for the progress! my daughter gets strep so often it drives me crazy!!

Lisa said...

Tickled pink about progress...

Lisa said...

P.S. Education is the key. If all of J's previous families had been trained and known all the facts there is the distinct possibility that she wouldn't have had 28 homes.